We all know we need water to be healthy; however, remembering to drink it isn't always easy. How you drink water can be just as important as how much water you drink, so gradually drinking water throughout the day is important too, especially as the temperatures start to rise.
Below are VarCity’s top 5 ways to drink water consistently throughout the day.
1. Get a bigger bottle. I used to keep a little 12-ounce bottle of water on my desk, and I would drink it all, but then I would never get around to refilling it. Now, I keep a large 1 liter bottle on my desk with a goal to drink all of it by the time the work day is over. I like it because it's a little goal I can set each day and easily see my progress as the hours go by.
2. Set an alarm. If you get so focused that you forget that bottle is on your desk, you may want to try setting an alarm on your phone or computer to go off every couple of hours or so to remind you to take a few swigs of water. I like to use this time to stand up and stretch, too!
3. Drink a glass before each meal. If it's just not convenient for you to drink water throughout the day, try setting a goal to drink at least one cup of water before each meal. Not only does this help you to stay hydrated, studies show that drinking a glass of water before a meal can help you feel full faster!
4. Track what you drink. A small glass here and there in your busy day may have you unsure about how much water you consumed at the end of the day. So try tracking your fluid intake just like you would when you record meals and snacks in a food journal.
5. Don’t live on water alone. You can meet up to 20% of your daily fluid needs by consuming fluid-rich foods such as fruits and veggies, which are 80-90% water!
And remember, if you are working out regularly, especially in the heat, you will need more fluids. For every pound lost during a workout (due to sweating), consume an additional 16 ounces of fluid.